Local Leak Repair in Monterey
Repairing Water Heater Leaks, Leaky Faucets & Leaking Toilets
Many leaks are easy to spot, such as a leaking hot water heater standing in a pool of water, a leaky faucet that drips, or a leaky toilet that runs constantly. However, leaky pipes, while just as common, aren’t as noticeable, but if not fixed properly, they can trigger much larger problems. Since pipes are usually located inside the walls of your home or buried in the yard, leaks can become quite serious before you see any obvious signs on the ground or in your home.
Whether you suspect a leak or you just want your system to be inspected to be safe, contact After Hour Plumbing & Drain today. We offer leak detection services throughout the Monterey Bay area, and our technicians are prepared with the equipment needed to find and fix leaking pipes in your house and yard.
If your plumbing is made up of older clay, cast iron, or galvanized pipes, it may be best to discuss repiping to upgrade your system with a choice of brass, copper, PEX, or ABS pipes.
Some leaks are obvious and easy to see. It can be difficult or impossible to detect water leaks when they are positioned underground, in the walls of your home, or if a slab leak has formed. Slab leaks can waste over 10,000 gallons a year in a single-family home. No matter the cause or location, a California licensed plumber can find and properly diagnose leaks using special equipment to both detect and repair faulty pipes.
However, when you know what to look for, you will often catch an appliance or pipe leak before it gets out of hand. If the pipes in your home are old and you are aware there is a good chance they will develop leaks, you should hire an experienced plumber to inspect the system.
Slab Leak Repair Services
A slab leak is a serious problem in your plumbing system. Because slab leaks occur under the foundation of your home, there may not be an obvious sign of one. Instead, you’ll have to look for other indications, such as an unexplained increase in your monthly water bill, a hot spot in your floor, one room that is unusually humid, or moss or mud around the perimeter of the house. By investing in slab leak repair as soon as an inspection reveals it, you can prevent extensive damage to your property and save a great deal of money, time, and stress.
Common Causes of Water Leaks
Pipes develop leaks for a variety of reasons:
- Age – As decades pass, pipes lose structural integrity and are susceptible to forming leaks.
- Roots – Older pipes that develop cracks or are worn thin from using harsh drain cleaners are easily invaded by roots that enlarge the crack and increase leaking.
- Weather – Seasonal changes can cause pipes to contract, expand, break, and leak.
- Connectors – Poorly-installed pipes or loosening connections at pipe joints will leak.
- Materials – Many older homes and buildings have plumbing systems using inferior piping materials that leak due to corrosion or other damage.
- Construction – When plumbing is not properly installed, it can quickly lead to failures and leaks.
- Soil – Due to a fluctuation of drought and excessive rain on the Monterey Peninsula, the soil can become unstable and cause the foundation of your home to shift, which can lead to leaking pipes.
Common signs of water leaks include:
- Your water bill has increased
- The water meter ticks continuously, even when water is not being used
- A hissing or gurgling sound comes from pipes and drains when appliances are off
- The water heater appears to be heating water all the time
- You notice mold or mildew forming on the walls or floors
- You notice spongy or warped flooring
- You notice cracks in the walls or structural parts of your home
- You notice a musty odor coming from drains
- You notice stained, wet, or bowed sheet rock on the ceiling or walls
- There are unexplained damp spots on stucco
If you see any of these signs, call our professional plumbers as soon as possible for an inspection to identify the source of the leak and discuss the options to repair or replace the damaged pipes.
With ever-increasing water rates throughout Monterey County and recurring drought conditions, water is a precious resource in California. Californians have been asked to reduce their water usage, and yet, the average single-family home loses about 30 gallons every day through hidden leaks.
“Very friendly, honest and clearly explained what was going on”- Robert Q.
“I was really pleased with the service”- Jsem M.
“Great work, quick service, and they were friendly”- Mark C.