Monterey Garbage Disposal Repair
Keeping Kitchens Clean
A garbage disposal makes cleaning up and getting rid of food waste so much easier. Just flip the switch and all the messy scraps in the sink are chopped to bits and washed away. That is, until the system gets clogged.
Most of the time, a garbage disposal does not work properly due to wear and tear of the unit itself. Fortunately, our expert plumbers at After Hour Plumbing & Drain are experienced in repairing garbage disposals and installing new ones. With our years of experience and training, we are prepared to help you quickly and effectively.
A garbage disposal is beneficial because it:
- Keeps your kitchen hygienic
- Noticeably decreases bad smells
- Takes care of food particles from the dishwasher
When to Fix or Replace a Garbage Disposal
It’s true that, after years of use, these handy little machines do break down. At times, they can be fixed; however, if they are damaged, then replacement is the only option. As practical as they are, garbage disposals are heavy-duty machines that do a lot of work.
Normally, your garbage disposal will chop up vegetables and regular food scraps in mere seconds. Yet, over time, bones, chunky food, the odd piece of cutlery, and gallons upon gallons of water start to take their toll. You will notice your garbage disposal slowing down, perhaps an odd smell, and even strange noises coming from the sink.
The most common problems you can run into with a garbage disposal include:
Your garbage disposal is jammed
You hear a low humming sound
- The flywheel may be blocked
- The unit will shut off automatically to stop burning out
There are foul odors coming from the disposal
- The engine sounds okay but the smell won’t go away
- The unit is not chopping properly due to eroding or stuck blades
- Food is rotting in the machine and drain pipes
Your unit is turned on, but not making a sound
- Check to see if the disposal is connected properly
- If so, press the reset button
- If nothing happens, check your home’s circuit breaker
Your disposal is draining too slowly
- Run the disposal until it is empty
- The line is most likely congested
- Do not use chemical drain cleaners
- Use a mixture of baking soda and vinegar
Your garbage disposal is leaking
- A seal may need to be changed
- The ring between the sink and drain pipe or sink flange may need to be replaced
While you may be tempted to try to try some of these fixes yourself, it’s best to contact a professional plumber as soon as you notice problems with your garbage disposal. Contact After Hour Plumbing & Drain at (831) 713-2713 right away for reliable Monterey garbage disposal repair service.
“Very friendly, honest and clearly explained what was going on”- Robert Q.
“I was really pleased with the service”- Jsem M.
“Great work, quick service, and they were friendly”- Mark C.